October 27, 2013

butternut squash pear soup



I adjusted this recipe from a friend to make it vegetarian/vegan friendly and it turned out better than expected! I've never made soup before, but I had 2 butternut squashes taking up huge real estate in my tiny fridge and this seemed like a delicious solution to the problem. 

ingredients//

1 butternut squash, remove peel/rind and cut into cubes
2 pears, cored and chopped
2 carrots, peeled and chopped
1 medium onion, diced
2 tbs olive oil
1 tbs honey
1 litre vegetable broth
1/2 cup almond milk
2 bay leaves

 In a medium-large pot, saute onions until soft, then add the butternut squash, pear, and carrots. Saute for a few minutes, then add the vegetable broth, and bay leaves. Bring to a boil, then lower the heat and let simmer for 15 minutes or until the vegetables are all soft. Remove the bay leaves, add honey, and blend using a hand mixer in the pot . Stir in almond milk and add salt and pepper. Enjoy!

xo denj

6 comments:

KRISTY said...

Mmmm... sounds delicious and looks like it's pretty easy to make! I love thick soups in colder months. Thanks for sharing! :)

www.monochromachic.com

Jacquelyn Clark said...

I make butternut squash soup every fall, but I've never thought to add pear! Such a lovely addition

cleartheway said...

Love the idea of adding pears! Sounds delicious!

Kate from Clear the Way

Lindsey Louise Bales said...

yu, fall soups are my favorite! i actually just posted a recipe for one on my blog as well! yours looks so lovely too!

lindsey louise

hellomrrabbitblog.com

Jenn said...

1/2 what of almond milk? 1/2 cup?? Lol thanks!

Cara said...

Looks delicious, and so cozy!
xo Cara
http://www.afashionloveaffair.com